Sunday, March 23, 2008

 

Seven Utterances of Christ from the Cross

I. “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” – Luke 23:24

a. We can receive forgiveness for sins from which we haven’t repented? I don’t think that’s what is going on here. I think at a minimum, this underscores our responsibility to forgive others, even when they don’t ask us.

i. D&C 64: 8-10 “My disciples, in days of old, sought occasion against one another and forgave not one another in their hearts; and for this evil they were afflicted and sorely chastened. Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin. I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.”

b. In regards to our own sins, we still have a responsibility of recognition and confession of our sins. 1 John 1:9: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

II. “Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.” – Luke 23:43

a. This is interesting because there is no discernable repentance here, merely a kind of death bed, desperate plea. Note that paradise is a place where those who have, inter alia, repented go (see Alma 40:11-13). So assuming that the thief on the cross isn’t repenting here, than Jesus seems to be referring to the spirit world (which consists of both paradise and spirit prison) where He visited after His death and before His resurrection. (see 1 Peter 3:19/4:6). On the other hand, perhaps the thief’s plea was sufficient or there was more that occurred that was not recorded that made his repentance complete and worthy to be with Christ is paradise that day.

b. This comment shows the breadth of Christ’s mercy where even someone sentenced to death and shortly before dying is still eligible for Christ’s grace.

III. “Woman, behold thy son!” – John 19:26

a. Recall Simeon’s prophecy to Mary shortly after Jesus’ birth “Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also.”

b. This shows Christ’s humanity; not only is He the Savior of the world, He is someone’s son. The fact that one of his last words was assuring that His mother would be taken care of underscores the importance of our familial responsibilities.

IV. “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” –Mark 15:34

a. The atonement needed to be infinite, to cover the sins of man, and only God himself could do that (see Alma 34). But it was not easy. “Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain…” (D&C 19:18)

b. Psalm 22: 1-2 “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Why are thou so far from helping me and from the words of my roaring. O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.”

V. “I thirst.” – John 19:28

a. John mentions that Christ said this to fulfill scripture, a likely reference to Psalms 69: 20-21 “Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.”

b. I think we are destined to underestimate Christ’s experience in Gethsemane and Calvary. He eventually ascended, but before that he descended below us all. See Ephesians 4:8-10. Because every soul thirsts for ever lasting water (see John 4), this experience of thirst on the cross informs us that he knows how to “succor his people.” Alma 7:12.

VI. “It is Finished” –John 19:30

a. The Greek word “tetelastai” means done or complete. Jesus accomplished all that the Father sent him here to do during his mortal ministry. Christ is not done with me, or any of us. He continues to be, because of His sacrifice for us, the advocate with the Father. “Father, behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified; Wherefore Father, spare these my brethren that believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have everlasting life.” D&C 45:3-5.

VII. “Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.”

a. Christ’s sacrifice is the ultimate example of submission to God’s will and this last statement encompasses this faith in God’s wisdom and strength.




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?